Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Story of the Day We Found Out PLUS Heartbeats and A Sonogram

WARNING: Wordy and detailed posting
Since I'm 13 weeks pregnant today and since I have promised you some fun details and stories, I thought I might take some time to blog for your reading pleasure.  I'll start with the day we found out:

Well it was Leap Day (February 29, 2012) which is kind of fun in-and-of-itself and we had just returned that previous weekend from the Physicians Discipleship Conference in Colorado Springs, CO.  {This was the same conference in 2011 that had changed our perspective on timing and willingness and the Holy Spirit's leading in regards to parenthood.}  The whole weekend I was quite convinced that I could be pregnant so I took lots of precautions like drinking decaf coffee, eating healthier snacks and drinking tons and tons of water, etc.  When we got home, we were forced back into reality very quickly after such an enjoyable weekend and yet the thought of being pregnant never really went away...  That Wednesday turned out to be one of the busiest and most stressful (in regards to work for the both of us) days of the year yet.  Jay left the house before I even woke up because he was on-call.  When I got up for work, I decided I should probably just relieve my mind of the stress and guessing game of "Could this be the month?"  So I sauntered into the bathroom, tore open the "stick", followed all the instructions very carefully and... you get the drill.  About a second later I had a positive at-home pregnancy test in my hand.     I wasn't really sure what to do.  I smiled, read the instructions again to make sure I really was reading a positive result and then freaked out a little.  I continued with my normal morning routine and went to work like nothing had changed.  I went to lunch with a very dear and trusted friend who went with me to pick out some digital sticks just to be sure.  As soon as I was back at the office, I performed another test (all the while my heart was pounding, thinking "this could be it!") and, once again, received a no-questions, this-is-not-a-false-positive, yes, you ARE pregnant result. :)

"Wow, OK," I thought.  "Now I just have to go back to work pretending I didn't just receive the most exciting and wonderful and blessed news ever?  Alright, piece of cake."  Psyche!

I was dying to tell Jay but knew he wouldn't be reachable for hours, and even then, could get called in for another lengthy surgery after his regular shift.  I drove home thinking the whole time of a fun and creative way I could break the news to the hubby.  Well, when he called saying that he got assigned an appendectomy at 5:30, I knew what I could do.  Several months ago {maybe even years, now} I had bought a cross-stitch pattern that I wanted to complete for a baby's nursery in the future.  I rarely ever worked on it at home because it was so intricate and complicated and I didn't feel like I was too pressured time-wise.  As you can see, I've only finished 3 letters...



Well, that night when Jay got home, I was furiously working on my cross-stitch hoping he would notice and ask why I was working on it.  It didn't really work out that way because he had had such a stressful day at the hospital and immediately asked for prayer when he walked through the door.  :(  My heart hurt for him but I knew this news would make him delighted and wash all the stress of the day away.  So I said "Honey, I'm so sorry you've had such a stressful day and I don't want to stress you out anymore, but I think I have some good news for you..."  He smiled and said "Go ahead, I think I know what you are going to say."  I smiled in return and said "I'm pregnant!"  From there, it was all hugs and kisses and joy and overwhelming emotions.  We went to dinner the following Friday to celebrate and process together at one of our favorite restaurants.  We were able to tell our parents and siblings (via Skype or FaceTime) within the next few days and weeks and everybody was so unbelievably happy for us.  Here are a few funny things our families said:

"How do you know?!"
"Well, are you sure?!"
"This is just divine!!"
"Shut. Up."
And lots of screaming. ;)

And that's pretty much what happened.  I won't bore you with all the details of the first trimester because you probably have already been pregnant or know someone close to you who was and because I really just have two words for the first trimester: good riddance.  I'm looking forward to having more energy, less food aversions, looking more like I have a real baby and less like I have a food baby, and preparing more for our little one.  We've had a few exciting appointments, one of which we got to hear the heartbeat and one of which we got to SEE the baby!  Both were truly an amazing experience.  Here are a few sonogram pics:

Sweet profile

Hand on forehead... in frustration? in reverence? in thought? ;)

So today I'm 13 weeks, or, 3 months and 1 week and am cruisin' right along.  We can't believe how fast the time is flying by and can't wait to meet our baby!  We're thanking the Lord each and everyday and are praying for him/her to be a healthy baby!  Thanks again for your prayers and support and for all the congratulations.  We are so beyond blessed by our incredible and amazing God.

No comments:

Post a Comment