Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, August 6, 2012

The Transformation Begins

This weekend we had the wonderful joy of having my older sister, Allison, and her husband, Chris, with us in KC to help out with a few house projects - including starting Caroline's nursery!  We got so much done and I feel so blessed to have family that is so willing and helpful!  Friday night the boys began painting the room and Allison, Leslie and I worked on clearing out Caroline's closet and re-organizing mine to include winter and maternity clothes.  We felt pretty accomplished already by the end of the night and were excited to have a whole other day to be productive!

Organizing clothes and watching Olympics!


Before...


 During... (got this cute idea from my good friend Rachel's blog) :)

After!
OK, so I had a few minor freak-outs this weekend - one of them being the paint color.  But now that everything is in the room and it has dried... I love it!


Christopher is SUCH a handyman and I mean that in the most complimentary way possible.  He was able to repair/fix a few things that needed some TLC this weekend.  One being the bathtub and one being our poor trashcan door pulley-outey thingy.  He fixed both and now they look amazing!

Before...

After!

 Before...
 

 After!

Before... (it was doorless and stinky)

During... way to fix it, Chris!


 After!  And now it is a-DOOR-able and not-so-stinky.  ;)


Earlier this week, I got together with Rachel who helped me with a nursery project.  If you remember, I bought this cute little thing at a church garage sale for $5...

All it needed was a little TLC and a touch of friendship.  Wow that was corny.


 Deuce and Sooie were there to help, too.

 Complete!  Rach, thank you so much for helping me with this - it was so fun!

Here it is in the nursery.  Isn't it cute?! Turned out great, I think.


Saturday it was Allison's and my mission to find some cute antique/vintage items for the nursery.  We went to the West Bottoms for an "event" called First Fridays when all the one-of-a-kind antique and vintage vendors come open their booths to the public.  We spent hours looking around at all the incredible unique items and came away with a few finds!  I'll share about that a little later when I have more of a vision for the final project.  Then we met Leslie for lunch at a cute cafe on the top floor of the market.



Next, Allison and I were off to find material for curtains, pillows and accents.  This is where my second freak-out came into play.  I thought I had picked the wrong bedding for Caroline's room and was afraid I was going to have to take everything back and start from scratch.  Turned out I didn't.  So that was good.  Once we put everything we had so far in the room, I couldn't picture anything better for my sweet daughter's nursery.

Now, I'm not totally ready to reveal the whole nursery just yet, but here are a few sneak peeks!

Chair, curtains and floor lamp
Chair: gift from Rob and Bille, repainted by Chris
Curtains: Target, if you can believe it - I couldn't!
Floor lamp: Vintage Market (cutest boutique about a block from our house)

Closet
She has clothes!  Allison brought up her girls' clothes to sort through and hand-me-down.  It was so fun looking through all the clothes and remembering my nieces in them when they were younger!

Crib, bedding and rocking horse
Crib: Gift from Chris and Allison, repainted by Chris
Bedding: Pottery Barn Kids (online sale!)
Rocking horse: story above ;)

So you may be wondering (maybe not, if you aren't too familiar with our house) where in the world did the guest room go?  Just across the hall, actually!  Jay was able to move all the furniture over before the Bradleys arrived and we put the final touches on it this weekend.  Yay for a guest room!


***

More updates on the nursery coming soon.  It's still a work-in-progress but having a nursery sure is making things much more real! Only 3 more months to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment